Last night, dinner was noodles with lots of vegetables. Invariably, when you make noodles at home, you find that the one or two packets that you opened and cooked cannot be put to use entirely. So what else can you do other than feeding it to your cat, or putting it in the green refuse bin? I hate wasting food. Seeing leftovers in my fridge always gets me in a super creative mode. LOL kidding, but you get the drift!
This morning, I started with ingredients for a veggie filled masala omelette for breakfast, when the leftover noodles from last night saved in a small Tupperware called out to me from the fridge. I got them out thinking of how best to use them up.
I pulled out a large bowl, tossed the chopped veggies, chillies, herbs, broke eggs over them and (without thinking too much) the leftover noodles, seasoning and wham into a hot pan with some oil. They cooked themselves into a delicious thick frittata like omelette. Delicious when eaten hot, I get the feeling they'll taste good at room temperature too. You can do the same thing with leftover pasta. Add Italian herbs like dried oregano-basil, bits of chopped onions, zucchini and tomatoes, whisk in some tomato paste and make yourself a fantastic Italian flavoured pasta and eggs.
While Maggi noodles are fighting a controversy in India, comfort yourself with regular Hakka or Egg noodles :-)
Serves 2 for breakfast or a light lunch
Less than 15 minutes
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbsp each finely chopped red and green bell peppers
3-4 green/red chillies, finely chopped
handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped or Thai basil
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground black pepper to season
1 tbsp soy sauce
Small bowl of leftover noodles
3 medium eggs
1 tbsp oil
Non stick pan
- In a large bowl, combine the finely chopped vegetables, chillies and coriander.
- Add salt, pepper, soy sauce.
- Separate out the noodles gently, if they have clumped together in the refrigerator and add it to the bowl.
- Break the eggs and add it to the bowl.
- Whisk gently with a fork to combine.
- Heat a non-stick pan.
- Grease with 1-2 tsp of oil.
- Once the pan is hot, add the egg-noodle mixture and smoothen it out gently.
- Cook on medium flame for 5 minutes until the base is golden and somewhat crisp.
- Using a wide spatula, flip it over.
- Drizzle remaining oil around the sides and cook for 5 minutes on medium-low flame.
- Once the eggs are fully set and it is golden on both sides, remove onto a plate and cut into 4 pieces.
- Serve hot with Tabasco or any other condiment of choice.
So good, I'll ensure I keep some leftover noodles each time :-)
Labels: Around the world, Breakfast, Eggs, Pasta