1/2 litre milk (previously boiled is ideal)
Few small pots / cups (4-5)
1 heaped teaspoon of yogurt with live cultures
- Warm the milk to a temperature where you can keep your little finger immersed in milk for 10 seconds - this will be considerably warmer than room temperature but one which is easily tolerable by your (clean) little finger.
- Add the yogurt to this pan of milk and with a hand whisk, whisk well till combined and frothy.
- Pour into small cups / containers and keep covered in a warm place like an oven or microwave for 6 hours. You could also set in small sized casseroles or kiddie hot-pack lunch boxes.
Top 5 tips to make yogurt at home in winters
- Make sure the milk is reasonably warm.
- Set in smaller cups as this sets quicker than one large pot of yogurt.
- You could place the cups in a tray filled with warm water so the setting process starts off quickly.
- Adding a piece of green chilli to each cup also helps set the yogurt better. Don't worry, it wont make the yogurt spicy.
- Keep in a draught free place like the oven or the microwave. Don't turn on the oven by mistake though!