Since I've been eyeing these pumpkin-spice loaves for quite sometime, I decided to make them into mini-Bundts with a glaze that will go with these flavours. The Wilton Mini-Bundt tray is the cutest baking accessory, generously given to me by my friend, Preethi, and it always makes the prettiest little cakes.
Pumpkin and the spices that go into making Chai Masala make a lovely pair. The fragrance and heat from the spices like ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon add a lovely dimension to the bland sweetness of pumpkin. Use the darkest golden colour pumpkin you can find for this recipe. Remove skin, dice into small cubes and boil in some water till soft. Drain and blend in a mixer till you get a fine puree. This can be refrigerated until use. Use in cakes, muffins for moist cakes with minimal use of oil / butter. This recipe uses just 2 tbsp of oil and yet the cakes are extremely moist.
Recipe for Chai Spiced Pumpkin Mini Bundts
Makes 12 - 16 mini bundt cakes
Adapted from : An Edible Mosaic
3/4 Cup pumpkin puree (explained above)
3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp oil
1 1/4 C all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp dried ginger powder
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk plus some more if required
1/2 tsp cardamom essence or vanilla extract or orange extract
1 tsp Cointreau (optional)
- Preheat oven at 175 C.
- Using oil, grease the cavities of a mini-bundt pan or two mini loaf pans or a 7" round tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, eggs and oil.
- In another bowl, with a whisk mix together all dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two batches. Incorporate well to make a smooth batter.
- Fill 2 heaped teaspoonfuls per cavity or 3/4 filling each.
- Bake mini bundts for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Mini loaf pans may take around 30 minutes and round cake tin around 45-50 minutes. Once golden brown on the top and a tester comes out clean, they are ready to come out of the oven.
- Mix all ingredients for glaze with a spoon until it is of drizzling consistency. Add a few drops more milk if required.
- When the cakes are still warm, drizzle over them.
- Serve warm.
Wishing you and your dear ones a very Happy Diwali
You can check the other lovely Bundts on their blogs.