15 October 2010

Ukrainian Honey Cake - Exotic and low-fat

When I saw this cake posted on Blondie's Cakes as an entry for the Foodbuzz Blogger Challenge, I knew this was just my kinda cake. Low on oil, lots of flavours and can be adapted to be made eggless.
A Ukrainian cake sounds so exotic. The ingredients however can be easily sourced on our kitchens. Addition of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg make it a perfect warming cake with your morning cuppa tea and the addition of coffee gives it a depth of flavour. I substituted the two eggs in the original recipe with yogurt and the results were quite good. The icing with honey, sugar and lemon juice gives it that extra kick - making it perfect for your tea party.
Ukrainian Honey Cake
Adapted from Blondie's Cakes
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups atta (whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp yogurt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup strong coffee (1 tbsp instant coffee powder dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Icing:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp honey
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 175 C / 350F. 
  2. Seive the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spice powders, and salt together into a large bowl. 
  3. In another large bowl, whisk together yogurt, sugar, honey, coffee and oil.  Add the dry ingredients and whisk till combined. 
  4. Pour into a greased 8" round pan and bake for around 30min, until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes and unmould.
  5. In a small bowl, beat well with a fork the ingredients for icing and drizzle over cake before slicing.
A cake with such regular kitchen ingredients and easy to put together in a jiffy, plus just 2 tbsp of oil is sure to be a hit with us. This recipe now resides in my iPhone notes so can make it just about anytime!

Though I used freshly grated nutmeg, I've tasted stuff made by my friend using Keya's Travencore Ground Nutmeg and the flavour is absolutely hard-hitting delicious. So I would totally recommend you use it if you like bold nutmeg flavours in desserts.
Thanks a lot Blondie for this superb family recipe.

17 comments:

Madhuli said...

Hmm..sounds easy and looks delicious..been waiting for the recipe..will make it 2morow and let you know..TY

Happy Cook said...

Wowo the vcake looks so so good. Drool.

SunnySmile said...

Wow! Great recipe! Goes straight into my recipe file

Priya Sreeram said...

will try this one for sure ! looks so delicious

Scarlett O'Hara said...

Oh yes. THis cake was so delightful with all its flavors. It was a huge hit with my friends as well.
As you bite and chew this cake, each and every mouthful opens up some surprises in terms of flavors. Awesome!

Sanjeeta kk said...

Lovely texture. The cake looks exotic and can imagine the flavors of cinnamon with ginger in it. Wholewheat makes it healthy too.

Miri said...

Lovely looking cake!

Nandita - have your tried hung curd in your cakes - just tried an orange clove cake a couple of weeks back (posted) and then used it in some pista cardamom cupcakes as well - both times, the cake had a lovely moist crumb. The hanging takes just half an hour to an hour, so not difficult to incorporate.

I did use eggs, but am sure it will be fine without as well.

Anjali said...

Hi, re the ginger - is it fresh ginger, and if so - grated? chopped? paste? Looking forward to making this, thanks, Anjali

s said...

ooh yum..sounds reasonably healthy and sounds so exotic and absol- delicious.This im making...if its the last thing I do.

Kamini said...

Just one word: yum!!

Anna said...

I'm so happy to hear that you liked it and thank you so much for linking back to me! And I really like your healthier take on the cake too. I keep trying to lighten things up in the kitchen, and your substitutions sound like they'd work beautifully!

Nandita said...

Thanks Miri for those tips. Would love to make that orange-clove cake-are you posting soon?

Anna - once again thank you for sharing this delightful recipe-can eat this without feeling guilty at all.

Anjali - it is ginger powder - everest brand

Nithya said...

Thanks to you for this recipe. I finally baked a cake perfectly. Love that icing!

Leya said...

Tried this recipe and we all loved it...my fussy 3-year old who never eats a cake without chocolate in it also had a big slice! With the whole-wheat flour substitution, I found that the batter was very thick. To loosen it, I added some more yoghurt, and baked it for the same amount of time. Turned out fabulous.I agree that the lemon-honey icing gives it a totally new dimension. I also topped the cake with some roasted crushed groundnuts for an extra crunch. Thank-you; this one is a keeper!

Khushbu Desai said...

This seems like a quick must try recipe. What are the preset if baking using a microwave as opposed to a normal oven?

Srividhyaj said...

Hi Nandita - Can this be made in Aluminium Oven kept on sand on low flame on gas ? I do not have a oven. pl respond  or clarify  - Thank you - Srividhya

saffrontrail said...

If you bake other cakes in such an oven, this also should work. I'm sorry I haven;t tried this method, so I cannot advise you on the exact techniques, but I guess it should work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...