29 July 2010

Moroccan Chickpea stew

Update: Starting this post, I will try and list the places where you can procure ingredients that feature in the recipe, if it is not a regular pantry item. Since I am currently located in Hyderabad, I will be featuring places from this city, and the areas I am familiar with. Readers are welcome to leave their comments about availability of such ingredients in other parts of Hyd / other cities.

--------------
A few weeks ago, a fellow foodie friend dropped by home and told us how he loves to dish out Moroccan food in his kitchen and how he managed to get a local potter to make him the tagine dish too! The foodie in me did not need more kindling than that to start craving a hot pot of Moroccan stew with robust flavours, not very unlike our Indian flavours.

My first brush with Moroccan cuisine was in the Momo Moroccan restaurant in London a few years ago. The vegetable stew and couscous was just perfectly spiced and delicious to suit my vegetarian palate. Chickpeas are another common ingredient in Moroccan cuisine and a chickpea stew sounded like the perfect way to satisfy the cravings.

You can easily pair this stew with some hearty bread like ciabatta or a rye loaf. Couscous is fairly easily available in most Metros. [See end of post on where to buy couscous in Hyderabad.] I usually give a laundry list of foodie items to the husband when he travels abroad and he is only too happy to comply.I don't call him my (eating) partner for nothing!

I adapted from a Food Network recipe - Recipe courtesy Dave Liebermann


Recipe for Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Serves 2

Ingredients
1/2 cup dried chickpeas
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
1 large onion, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, crushed roughly
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 cup chopped tomatoes
3 cups water plus 2 cubes Maggie Super seasoning or 3 cups of Vegetable stock
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1-2 cups of fresh greens (I used spinach)

Preparation
Soak the chickpeas in lot of water with a pinch of baking soda (optional) for 6-12 hours

Directions
Drain the chickpeas - cover with 2 cups water and pressure cook for 10 minutes, till soft but not mushy. Keep aside.
In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil. Saute the onion and garlic on a low flame till soft and cooked, around 7-8 minutes.
Add the spice powders, chopped tomatoes, boiled chickpeas with water and seasoning cubes.
Taste before adding salt as the seasoning cubes contain salt.
Simmer for 7-8 minutes on low flame for the chickpeas to absorb the flavours and the tomatoes to cook.
Add the roughly chopped greens. These will wilt in a couple of minutes.
Grind some black pepper on the top and serve hot / warm with bread or couscous.

For directions on How to Prepare Couscous, check my post on Couscous with roasted Vegetables

Places to buy couscous in Hyderabad
SPAR - Begumpet
QMart - Road 2, Banjara Hills
Hypercity - Inorbit Mall, Cyberabad

Places to buy gourmet breads in Hyderabad
Deli 9, various outlets
Sweet Nirvana Patisserie, Madhapur
Beyond Coffee, Road 36 Jubilee Hills

11 comments:

arundati said...

omg! i was just typing out a draft for moroccan stew! tried to find you online! looks fab...must try this version soon.

Raaga said...

I had a tagine once... and got the recipe for it :) should make it myself once and then post :)

PS said...

wow, looks yummy, a new recipe to me. your picture tempts me to try this. have bookmarked it..

Mythreyee said...

I just bought maggie cubes. I also got the small green channa. I will surely try this recipe.

Trendsetters said...

great flavorful recipe

Priya said...

Stew looks fantastic..

work_in_progress said...

Very thoughtful to list where ingredients can be sourced:-) Keep up the good work!

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Perfect looking stew. Nice recipe. YUM!

RV said...

Moroccan recipes are so flavorful just like Indian cuisine but yet they are not spiced up. This will be a scrumptious dinner meal.

s said...

I love moroccan cuisine..and this looks real good...love the flavors

ramya said...

Hi,

I am making this now for dinner,and because i did not find tomatoes,i replaced the tomato with pomogranate(one round in mixer). It a beautiful shade of purple.Hope it works!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...