20 February 2010

Tomato and mint flavoured moong dal



Moong dal or split, husked green gram has not always been a favourite - but according to Ayurveda, it is said to be lighter and easier to digest, compared to the more popular toor dal. Khichdi prepared from moong dal and rice is said to be one of the most restorative dishes during an illness. When pressure cooked, this dal tends to get somewhat slimy, which is why I wasn't too kicked about it in my early cooking days. Besides it doesn't have the kind of rich flavour that is inherent to toor dal. Add some masalas and a good tempering in ghee and moong dal turns more palatable. Cooking moong dal by the boiling method as against the pressure cooking method keeps the texture alive and makes it a much better dish, in my humble opinion.

This time I added tomatoes and flavoured it with ginger and a pinch of mint powder for a bit of mystery in the background and if I may say so, it did turn out pretty good. This is best had with rotis as it doesn't have any liquid to mix around with rice.


Sukhe Moong Dal

Serves 2 as an accompaniment to rotis


Ingredients

1/3rd cup Moong dal, washed and soaked in 2-3 cups water for at least 30 minutes, or more if possible

1 tsp oil

1/2 tsp cumin seeds

1/2 tsp finely chopped or grated fresh ginger root

pinch of asafoetida

1-2 green chillies, finely minced

2 medium tomatoes, finely diced

1/4 tsp turmeric powder

3/4 cup water

1/2 tsp salt or to taste

1/4 tsp dried mint powder


Directions

In a pan, heat the oil. Splutter cumin seeds and then add ginger, asafoetida, chillies and saute for 30 seconds.

Add the tomatoes and stir for a minute or so before adding all remaining ingredients except mint powder.

Once water comes to a boil, add soaked moong dal. Cover and cook for around 8-10 minutes, checking in between to add tbsp of water if dal is drying out.

Look for a stage when the dal is cooked, yet keeps its shape well and water is dried out. On a medium flame, this would take around 10 minutes. Sprinkle mint powder towards the end, give it a stir and remove into a bowl. Serve with rotis.


Next post : How to prepare mint powder / dried mint

18 comments:

Nupur said...

Like you, I much prefer toor dal to moong dal but your recipe sounds very tasty!

meeso said...

Healthy and delicious! Yum!

Global Tastes & Travels Inc. said...

I am so happy I signed up for your blog feed. You have the most interesting recipes - and I am not even vegetarian. I am going to buy some plantain today and try the podinas.

I have been reccommending your blog to everyone I know.

Keep blogging!!!!

Nandita Iyer said...

Nupur - I like this dal better in a dry form, non-slimy :)

Thanks Meeso.

Thank you for your kind words GG

Daisy Blue said...

A very new side dish for roti..nice click..

Annarasa said...

Looks very yummy!! This was a staple for summer lunches in Delhi - very light and easy to digest!

Rujuta said...

Hi Nandita

Thanks for sharing the recipe...
I am def. going to try it out bcos i am a fan of it.....
The click is great........

Nandita Iyer said...

Daisy Blue and Annarasa - welcome! I'm sure it's good for summers when we crave for something easy and light!

Rujuta - do let me know how you like it.

Rachel said...

I am not too fond of moong dhal but the pic wants me to say otherwise :)

Nandita Iyer said...

True Rachel, it is the same for me, but I liked this one, which is why it made to the blog :)

Raaga said...

I love moong dal... even cooked to a mush in the pressure cooker. This reminds me of the payatham paruppu kuzhambu that I need to make :)

Shall try this for rotis soon... can I pressure cook? 1 whistle maybe?

Nandita Iyer said...

If you don't mind mushy then one whistle should be okay - but you can try my method, just leave it on the gas while you are doing something else in the kitchen na - with that occasional stir?? Not difficult for you :)

Miri said...

I have only ever seen dry urad dal...this one is so different!
FIL used to make "moong dal soup" - pressure cook moong dal with tomatoes, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and garlic and lots of water and haldi. Roughly mash and temper with cumin and asofoetida for the most soothing non sticky dal ever!

MeetaK said...

umm i think i am not that picky when it comes to dal. i pretty much love it all in any way! this looks simple and so full of flavor.

Chitra said...

yum! I love getting new moong dal recipes:)

BongMom said...

I love all kinds of Dal but this dry kind I have never had. Great idea

Smita said...

I tried this recipe minus the mint. Loved it. Posted here - http://dabbusrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/02/simple-dinners-take-2-tomato-moong-dal.html

Nandita Iyer said...

Yes Miri - that one is great for a winter night - I used to add lauki and such other veggies to the dal to make a soup..your FIL's recipe sounds perfect!

Meetak - I'm not too picky, just favour some over others :)

Thanks Chitra, hope you like it.

Bongmom - try karo, you could possible even dry roast the dal before proceeding like how the bongs do one with udad dal if I'm not mistaken

Smita, nice of you to try it out - will check out link and update my post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...