3 April 2008

Orange-Sesame Soba Noodles



There are some recipes that the minute you lay your eyes on them, you know it's going to taste great. And you can't wait to make it and taste it yourself. This was one such yummy recipe that I came across in Prevention magazine a couple of months ago. It featured soba noodles, which I had in the pantry; peanut butter which I had just made a bottle of; fresh oranges for the dressing and there was nothing to stop me from trying this one out.

The result was so delicious that the hubby and me lapped up the noodles with our chopsticks in pin drop silence, except for the 'hmmm this is good' every two minutes. If you don't have soba noodles, try this out with any sturdy noodles, because the dressing is to die for.



Recipe for Soba noodles in a sesame-orange-peanut butter dressing
Category : Asian cuisine, Vegetarian Asian, One dish meal
Serves : 2
Time taken : Under 20 minutes


Noodles
2 portions soba noodles (about 250 gms)
Cook the noodles as per directions,remove and rinse in cold water and drain. Keep aside.

For dressing, in a jug, whisk together :
3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp grated ginger
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 to 1 tsp red chilli powder
(Have a taste of the dressing to adjust the salt depending on the salt in the soy sauce. It's quite addicting. I must have taken several licks of this :)

Vegetables
Lightly steam 1 cup julienned beans and thin carrot sticks from 2 medium carrots OR Microwave for 3 minutes with pinch of salt and sprinkles of water.

Bringing it together
In a large bowl, toss the noodles with the steamed vegetables. Pour the dressing over the tossed noodles and toss well to coat evenly.
Top with diagonally sliced spring onion greens.

Serve warm or cold. You can prepare this in advance and serve it the following day so that the noodles can absorb all the flavours of the dressing. This kind of combination was very new to me, and the orangey-peanut butter dressing is something I want to make again very soon.



Weekend Breakfast Blogging # 21 is being hosted at 100% Microwave cooking and the theme is Microwave Breakfasts. Last date for entry is 30th April, 08. Event details here.

After I lost all the matter on the sidebar widgets, I've prepared an exclusive WBB Archives & Updates page - which links up to all the previous 20 editions, plus who's hosting next etc. Anyone who is interested in hosting, please leave a comment on the WBB page and I shall get back to you soon.



21 comments:

Suganya said...

I love peanut dressing too. Though it sounds unusual, sweet orange and pungent soy sauce is a good combination.

Richa said...

yummm! fresh orange juice in dressing/marinade does take it to another level, good one N! I will be posting a rcp that uses fresh orange juice soon :)

Pearlsofeast said...

Hi Nandita.Absolutely tempting.Since I have evrything stocked in my pantry,nothing can stop me from trying out. I love the peanut butter dressing.Wonderfull combination !!!!!!!

bee said...

this really sounds awesome. i'm on a peanut butter high nowadays. i add it to everything.

Nags said...

oh wow! lovely flavours. i am yet to try and cook soba noodles!

arundati said...

wow!! looks (and am sure tasted) fabulous...

bluespriite said...

Sounds yumm.. cant wait to try it.

Sia said...

ahem... i must be one of the rare species who never tried peanut butter till now... ~digs a hole and hides her head~

Nandita said...


Sia, dont worry, even I tried very recently only...that too home-made.

kittie said...

I can't wait to make this - it sounds delicious!
And homemade peanut butter too - I never though of making that myself!

Nikita said...

I always love the recipes you post. Thanks for all the recipes. Can you olease give the recipe for making peanut butter at home

ANJALI J. said...

this is new to me.. i never tried noodle at home.. ur recipes looks too good.

TheRadiantLotus said...

Hey Nandita,
What is toasted sesame oil? Just plain ol sesame oil will do? I will try this out tomorrow,sunday.

Nandita said...


Nikita - For homemade peanut butter, dry roast 1 cup peanuts till crisp. You can do this in a kadai or in MW for 5-7 minutes giving them a stir every 2 minutes.
Then you can remove the skins, (I dont) fine grind them in your mixer with 1/2 tsp salt and one tsp sugar till the whole mixture comes together like butter. That's all there is to it. Refrigerate if you are not using it immediately.

Vibs - Sesame oil ko heat kar lo, thats what i meant by toasted. You can microwave for 30-45 seconds in microwave in a glass mesaruing jug or so.

White On Rice Couple said...

These colors are so brilliant and beautiful! I love noodles and this would be a perfect breakfast dish!

Mallika said...

What a fantastic recipe! I would have never thought to put peanut butter and orange zest together. I will try this nandita - if hubby doesn't like it, I am coming after you... LOL

Nandita said...


DIanne/Todd - thanks

Mallika- loook at it this way, if hubby doesn't like it, you get to eat it the next day when it tastes even better :D

Cynthia said...

There are some recipes that the minute you lay your eyes on them, you know it's going to taste great. - I totatlly agree. Just looking at your pic does that to me :)

TheRadiantLotus said...

hey tks Nans! Now am sure to make this..only have to do it when dad is not at home. He rags me non-stop for my love for noodles! ;-P

Havent heard of Soba noodles. Will check out Nilgiri stores and read the packing of the noodle varieties.

kittie said...

Hi!

Just to let you know I tried making this dish a few days ago and loved it! I have just posted up the result on my blog.

Thanks for a great recipe!

aparna said...

Hi
I tried this out last night and it was good. Initially I dint quite like it , though my husband certainly liked the unusual mix of flavor and taste, but now I cant wait for lunch time to eat it again. I probably added a little extra orange juice and the taste gets better the next day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...