18 January 2007

Cauliflower with fenugreek greens in spicy peanut gravy

It's nearing end Jan and finally we winter-starved Bombayites are finally feeling some cool. Afternoons are still hot. The tiled flooring does turn cold though. The cold water in the wash-basin gives me a little jolt as I sleepily open it early in the morning, reminding me that - Hey girl, enjoy this while it lasts.

I love all spices. Especially so, at this time of the year, when our body yearns for it. I've gone all out with my spices in this recipe, dressed up the benign cauliflower in flavours it didn't know existed. It's like turning an ice maiden Aishwarya Rai into a hot sizzling Mallika Sherawat! If you don't know who these babes are, don't worry. I'm sure you got the idea though. The peanuts were added on second thoughts, to make the gravy a little milder and creamier without adding any dairy cream. It turned out good. Real good. In fact, the day I made this, DH had an unusually long day at work. I for once didn't complain as I dug into the whole darn bowl myself. Yeah! That good. Try out and you'll know I'm sticking by my new year resolutions :D

And hey friends, I haven't forgotten about the WBB 8 round up. I just got some respite from work and I wasn't in the mood for some more serious work like battling with blogger to do a round up. It'll come up soon with a new theme as well.


Cauliflower in spicy peanut gravy

Category: Vegetables, side, Indian curry, Spicy food, Winter food
Cooking time: About 20 minutes
Serves 3
Recipe source: My own




2 cups cauliflower florets - largish
1 cup finely chopped fenugreek leaves

For the masala

3-4 red chillies
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 small stick cinnamon
2 cloves
2 cardamoms
5-6 black peppers
1 sprig curry leaves
3-4 cloves garlic
2 medium onions - sliced
1 tsp salt or to taste

1/4 cup or handful of roasted peanuts
Salt to taste

Wash the florets in plenty of salted water. Drain and keep aside.

For the masala, on a low flame, roast all ingredients except the onions and garlic. Roast till aromatic. Remove from the kadai onto a dish and let it cool. Meanwhile, take a tsp of oil in the same kadai, put in the sliced onions and garlic with tsp of salt. Saute till translucent. Remove from the kadai and cool.

In a mixer, grind the roasted spices, onion-garlic and the peanuts into a very fine paste, adding upto half cup of water.

In a cooker or a pressure pan, heat a tsp of oil. Splutter some cumin seeds and then pour the masala paste. Stir around for a good 5 minutes or so. We wont wait for any oil to separate here because we didn't use much oil to start with. Throw in the cleaned cauliflower florets and the greens. Add upto a cup of water and let the florets simmer in the paste for around 3-5 minutes before closing the lid of the cooker.

Allow just one whistle to escape. Switch off the gas and take the cooker off the burner immediately. The remaining pressure in the cooker is enough to cook the florets just enough without turning them into a mash. Another reason why they wont turn to a mash is because we keep the florets big enough not to cook too soon. If you want to try this in a saucepan (no cooker scenario), then by all means break the cauli into smaller florets for faster cooking.

After 10-15 minutes, the cooker would have cooled. Open the lid carefully. Check for salt. Serve hot with any Indian bread or plain steamed rice. A cold salad on the side will complement the heat of this curry beautifully.

Tags:

16 comments:

Krithika said...

Looks delicious ! very unusual combination.

Anita said...

Yup, that will be nice and spicy, perfect for a winter meal...Delhi is getting warmerthough. Sankranti is always magically the coldest night. But it is still going to be cold for a while, just not bone-marrow freezing.
I'll make this and let you know how it turns out.
BTW, with the current JFI you have the perfect opportunity to showcase my requested recipe...I hope someone does!

Anonymous said...

I love fenugreek and can eat it with anything. Thanks for the recipe. I will surely try it out.

Vani said...

That must be one good curry!! It's going on my must-try list. The pic looks really good!

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy..I use peanuts in chicken gravy..I love the flour..will try this for sure.Waiting for next WBB theme..

paz said...

I love cauliflower and the sound of your gravy. Delicious!

Paz

just for fun said...

Cauliflower in peanut gravy! completely new to me. Will try it.
thanks for sharing

eva said...

What a unusual and tasty curry !

Anonymous said...

Looks great!
Your kitchen looks beautiful too.

Sushma said...

nice recipe. thanxs for sharing
-Sushma

Pooja said...

cauluflower with peanut gravy is completely new to me !
thanks for sharing this.
-Pooja

Lisa said...

I am quite sure this recipe will be a hit with my family. The aromatic combination of roasted spices (including the curry leaves) has got me salivating already. Thanks for another creative way of cooking cauliflower. I can hardly wait to try it. The roasted peanuts are a good alternative to add some body to the gravy instead of coconut milk or coconut gratings.

Raaga said...

I was thinking of making gobhi methi instead of aloo methi...and you have a recipe... :-)

Johanna said...

hi nandita - have had my eye on this dish for a while and finally tried it (in my own aussie way because I am no expert at curries) - but I loved this spice combination and hope to try this dish again sometime - thanks

Sudha said...

I tried this one and am sorry to say that something is really amiss!

Cant compliment and recommend.

Sorry!

swathi said...

Made this curry today ! was absolutely tasty ! :)