12 September 2006

My twist on a cucumber salad


That's the badge I've received from Makiko of Just Hungry for my winning FD-2 entry.

I have been off blogging for almost 2 weeks and been feeling lazy to put up any posts or to cook for that matter. After seeing so much of the good stuff at my cousin's wedding feasts, I've been feeling so lethargic to cook up anything myself. However, there is always a photo bank, to fall back upon. Certain good stuff that I've clicked and saved to write about later. I was so keen to write for Posie's Gadget event, but that too slipped away.


Today, I'll share with you a spunky cucumber salad, I made 2 weeks ago and then have made some 2 times this week. It's simple and quick and it's not your regular cucumber salad. Goes well as a sandwich filling or as a side to soup. The dressing is a spin-off on a balsamic vinaigrette. The sesame seeds and soya sauce add the Asian touch. Chilli flakes add the oomph!



Ingredients:

3 medium sized cucumbers-halved length-wise and sliced
(I used a giant cucumber variety that looks like a bottle gourd)
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander

Dressing
2 tbsp good quality Balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp whole grain mustard (I used Karen Anand's)
Pinch of chilli flakes (Fabindia sells a nice organic variety)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, smashed and milled
Salt (adjust with the saltiness in soy sauce)




In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the dressing with a fork. Throw in the cucumber slices and coriander. Toss well. Serve chilled.


I made this on the night before I was leaving for my holiday. Dinner was a quick tomato chutney (made with all the leftover tomatoes in the fridge ) spread on toasted whole grain bread slices and topped with the fantastic salad. I stopped at 3 slices, but from the way it tasted, I could have just gone on and on....even though the chilli flakes had my lips burning.

It's fat free, it's low cal and it's ready in under 10 minutes. It's already my HOT favourite!


Related post:
Carrot Peanut Salad

Tags:

, , , ,

13 comments:

Lera said...

Wow! a salad with a difference,nice recipe..:)

Lera said...

By the way, congrats!!

Nandita said...

Thanks Lera ;)

Krithika said...

Congratulations ! Salad looks wow !

jayshree said...

Delicious salad..Thnx for sharing. Going to try soon !!

Foodie's Hope said...

A very different salad!! Must try!

Congratulations by the way!! :)

Tashie said...

Have you ever tried adding just a touch of sesame oil to your recipe? sesame oil with soy sauce added to cucumbers or grated carrots is simply divine.

Prema Sundar said...

wow... great salad.. simple and quick to make one.

Vaishali said...

That's a different salad, Nandita. Very different from what I would imagine putting cucumbers into. And low-cal indeed.
Btw, my latest post is an entry to your next WBB round-up. I'll send you a mail with the permalink. This is just to remind myself. :)

Pavani said...

That is definitely healthy and delicious. Nice idea to spice up otherwise bland cucumbers. Thanks for sharing.

Anita said...

Congrats N. And this salad looks delectable. I am myself a salad freak so should be trying out this take of yours very soon.

Nandita said...

Thanks all of you...

Tashie, leaving out the sesame oil would sure add a ton of taste, but I prefer leaving the oil out of my salad dressings, to make them lighter...after all when i make a salad that is the purpose...thanks for visiting :)

Saurabh Srivastava said...

Hey,

Cool twist to otherwise boring cucumbers. Wondering what could substitute balsamic vinegar. Want to try this recipe ASAP........

Thanks