20 September 2006

Almost fat free Sweet Potato Chips


This is more of a tip than a recipe. A tip to make chips without frying. I got this idea from the blog 28 Cooks where there was a post on Microtato Chips. The taste of my favourite brand of chips (when I was in US) was Terra - thick chips made from starchy vegetables - potatoes, sweet potatoes, beetroot etc. These were definitely deep fried, but since then I've been wanting to make sweet potato chips at home.
The Indian sweet potatoes are almost white from inside unlike the orange coloured ones I've seen in US. These are starchy and dense and hardly sweet to taste.

To make these chips, all you need is a sweet potato, some seasoning and a microwave oven. Peel the vegetable. Slice it with a mandolin or as thin as you can manage with a knife.

Spray it with some oil / Coat it evenly with a teaspoon of oil. Add salt, red chilli powder and a bit of turmeric and mix it thoroughly into the slices.

Arrange it in a single layer on a microwave safe dish, and nuke at high for 5-6 minutes. The time taken depends on the power of your machine and thickness of slices.

Cool for a while and enjoy!

You can do the same with any of the starchy vegetables.

I also tried a salt and pepper combo and that worked fine too.

Ah! The fun of eating chips without the guilt is a wonderful experience. Do try and let me know!

15 comments:

shilpa said...

Thats a great idea Nandita. I wanted to have chips but because of my throat infection, was avoiding them. Now, let me try your method. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Aha! almost fat free chips!! VERY Nice Nandita! I love chips and like to keep a bag open when watching movies, needless to say.. feel (slightly) guilty at the end of the movie ! must try ur version... can i use plain potato? will the mircowave time remain the same? hurry ,hurry tell me.... I must try this b4 tonight's movie!!

jayshree said...

Guilt freeeeeeeee chips !! I do papad this way but never tried for chips. Thnx for the tip.

Krithika said...

Will try with sweet potato that is sold in the indian store. BTW, very nice pic of yours. Thanks for this recipe

Nandita said...

Shilpa, All thanks to the method goes to Fiber from 28 cooks. I didn't know myself that this would turn out so good...

Manasi- Hope I'm in time to tell you...do use a plain potato, and the time will be around 5 minutes at high power, if sliced really thin with a mandolin / slicer. But keep an eye, if your machine is really powerful, the stuff may start charring if kept for longer

Jayashree-it's a fun way, only thing, it takes a little time making it in batches, and before next batch is ready, you would have finished the earlier batch.

Krithika- Thanks dear friend for your compliments-you can try with any other starchy veg you have on hand. Guess I'll try with beetroot today and call them anti-oxidant chips :D

Neo said...

Wow!!!!!1
will defi try and let u knw

Krithika said...

Do let me know how the beetroots turn out. I have tried it using the regular oven but mine was a disaster.

Anonymous said...

I too made these a couple of weeks back when friends were in town. I had been meaning to try the recipe. It sounded too good to be true. But, my God, it's goood! Absolutely unbelievable. I used the original potatoes though.

Anonymous said...

I had two sweet potatoes in the fridge, so I had to try these chips. It took two batches for me to figure out the time required to crisp them just so. I gobbled up the first two batches although they were kind of charred. I loved these babies...they tasted like the Terra chips which are my favorites. I actually omitted the salt, masala and even the oil. Just plain veggie, and it tasted like heaven. Thank you so much for blogging about it. This is the only way I'm going to eat sweet potatoes now.
Vidya

Anita said...

That first 'annonymous' was me. It's true though, by the time you make the next batch the first one is gone!

Nandita said...

Vidya- Terra was so my favourite brand too- thick and flavourful, the taste of veggies intact- Ah heaven!!! And this stuff comes closest to terra isn't it??

I'm just gonna make some beetroot chips in a while, shall keep you guys posted!

Anita,
Was wondering who the anonymous was! LOL- i wonder how one can make this and store, especially because it isn't fried, it goes straight from the microwave to the mouth with the speed of light, and then you only hear the sound- crunch-crunch -crunch

Haha

Krithika said...

I tried the sweet potatoes (american variety) chips. It came out pretty good. Even my kids loved it. Thank you so much

Anupama said...

That is too good nandita. Love Sweet Potatoes and will try this the next time I buy some.

Nandita said...

K- thanks for the feedback dear! Feels great when someone tries out your recipe...

ANupama- Saang mala kasa zhaala?

RD said...

Hi Nandita,
I have been frequenting your blog for weeks now and now i'm completely hooked! I tried this recipe yesterday when I was craving something crunchy but not greasy and it turned out GREAT! Thanks for sharing such wonderful tips and recipes!
- Roopa