8 August 2006

How to nurse a half-broken tooth?

One of my molars has been in a perilous condition for a few weeks now.But my dentist phobia combined with general procrasination led to a half-broken dangling molar. I never expected that the tooth that survived the heavy grinding of 'murukku' and 'kadalai urundai' could succumb to a weakling like 'kurmura'.

Since this happened at 3 pm, I had to wait for a local dentist to open shop which would be around evening. As luck would have it, she doesn't practise evenings, without prior appointments. The appointment is scheduled for tomorrow morning. Friends, I need all the luck I can because a dental appointment almost feels like a walk to the gallows. (Biting my nails furiously). Fortunately there's no insurance hassle in the middle, I can just choose to go to anyone I fancy. Why this must feature on a food-blog one might wonder! But aren't teeth intimately related to food?

I've been on liquid diet so far, and any liquids just wont do. They have to be something that can keep me from missing food. (If my mom happens to read this she might mutter under her breath-"Had she kept some religious fasts-she would have been prepared for this! But when has the girl ever listened?"

Two simple recipes to sail through a half-broken tooth (Literally)

Wheat Flour Porridge

Dot a pan with ghee. Put 2 Tbsp of wheat flour in the pan and saute till nice and brown. It will smell so good that you'll think, "How come I didn't know wheat flour could smell so good?". Meanwhile dissolve a Tbsp of jaggery in some water. You can microwave the jaggery with some water for 30 seconds.
Mix one cup of skimmed milk into the jaggery solution. Add this to the golden wheat flour on a low flame and with constant stirring. Sprinkle some cardamom powder to this after the wheat flour is throroughly dissolved and free of lumps.
Add some more cold milk if it's too thick for your liking.

Tasted yum-I almost felt happy to be eating/drinking this.

When can you eat this?

Don't worry, you don't have to break a tooth to eat this wonderful porridge. You can have it for breakfast if you've run out of cereal. Read what I've written about 'Cereal' killers.
Actually this gives me the idea of keeping some roasted wheat flour in stock to make this porridge in a jiffy whenever i feel like it!

Apple honey shake-This was my dinner. But you can have it as a breakfast shake or a post-dinner soothing drink.

Chop a peeled and cored apple into small pieces. Put it in a blender. Add a cup of skimmed milk, a tbsp of honey and a pinch of cinnamon powder. Blend at high speed for 2 minutes, until the apple is completely mashed.
Pour ino a tall glass and drink immediately.
I guess adding protein powder to this one will make it more filling.


No pictures this time. The stuff above wasn't so picture-worthy. It's just slurp worthy.

Wish me luck for my dental appointment. (Luckily you see the typed word. Had you seen the written word, you'd see how I was shivering ;)


Tags-,

11 comments:

Anne said...

Ow, ow, ow! Feel better soon!

Nandita said...

Thanks Anne :R (Note the broken tooth there)

Meeta said...

Oh you poor baby!
Hope you feel better soon! I always smirk when people get jitters from going to the dentist! But in your case it is understandable. I feel even more sorry for you because of the food you are eating at the mo ;-))

Nandita said...

I have a certified dentist-phobia, Can't do anything about it! I just got back from the appointment, she knocked of the broken bit and I have a major extraction happening of the remaining stuck up things coming this week- Looks like it's going to be baby food week for me :)

Anupama said...

I do not envy you right now Nandita. Hope the treatment goes better than you expect. Thanks for the 2 slurpy recipes. Tomorrow one of us could be in your place and these will come handy.

Pam said...

Ohhh Nandita, I too can empathize being dentistphobic myself. I hope all proceeds quickly, painlessly and as stress free as possible.

I'm sending as much good karma your way as I can muster!

Nandita said...

haha Anupama Thanks

Pam-I'm happy that my friends here can empathize with my condition ;)

Neelu said...

I make this often nandita , wheat n jagery go well with each other. It makes a nice mela for me :)

Neelu said...

Are what happened to ur tooth ? Looks like u eat lot off sweets and dnt brush ! Dint mummy tell u to brush b4 going ot bed ? :P

Vaishali said...

Hahaha...that was a funny write-up, Nandita. I am sure, it was quite painful for you while you were writing it, though. Wish you lots of courage for the impending extraction. :)

Rooma said...

Hahaha...... thanks to the dentist, you thought making this for the blog and all of us got to read it. :)

(Next time, keep any simple painkiller at home. And it should solve your problem if its not to complicated - an advice from a dentist (friend) :))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...