13 May 2006

Spice twist- Mango Cardamom chutney





Green cardamom is a spice that mainly grows in India and Sri Lanka, and is widely used in Indian cuisine, in most traditional desserts. The black cardamom that is slightly bigger in size, is used to add fragrance to rice dishes like Pulao and to curries.



In South Indian cuisine, cardamom is used as a flavouring agent in Payasam, Kesari, Halwa, Ladoos and many more. However, it is not used in any savoury dishes, atleast not to my knowledge. That's how after much thinking on what I must submit for Barbara's Spice is Right-II, I came to the decision of trying out this amazingly fragrant spice in a savoury, almost spicy recipe.


mango cardamom chutneySpicy Mango Cardamom chutney

Spicy Cardamom Mango chutney

2 medium sized firm raw mangoes- chopped into small pieces
4 medium sized pods green cardamom-peeled and roughly powdered
2 T white vinegar
1 pod garlic-peeled and chopped
1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
1 1/2 T red chilli powder
1/2 T crushed coriander seeds
1 T demerara sugar / jaggery
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup water

Method:

Put the raw mango pieces, vinegar and water in a saucepan. Cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes until mangoes are softened. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer for 10-15 minutes with constant stirring until the mixture is syrupy. Let it cool and ladle into a glass jar.

This is tangy and spicy and the cardamom pods lend to this chutney a wonderful aroma that we don't generally associate with spicy pickles.

This chutney is a good surprise for the tastebuds.

curd rice and chutney
Mango cardamom chutney served on chilled curd rice


Note:

Serve as an accompaniment with parathas / curd rice / plain chapathis. This is an oil-free pickle with healthful ingredients.

The original recipe from 'best ever curry cookbook' by Mridula Baljekar is a sweet chutney that uses 2/3rd cup of muscavado sugar. In case you like a sweet and sour chutney, by all means add the sugar!
My best loved used for cardamom pods is to make an aromatic cup of masala chai.
In case you do try out this chutney, do let me know how you liked the flavours.
This is my entry for The Spice is Right II–”Sweet or Savory?” @ Tigers and strawberries



Source:
Recipe adapted from Mridula Baljekar's best ever curry cookbook
*www.culinarycafe.com
#-Mccormicks.com




14 comments:

starry nights said...

Just stopped by. You have a beautiful site. The pics make the food come alive.

jafabrit said...

I just wanted to say hi and let you know I really like your blog and you have some wonderful ideas and recipes posted.

all the best
corrine

Vaishali said...

Nandita,
What's wrong with me? I missed the deadline for Tig. & Straw. event. Am I perpetually sleeping or what? I was so looking forward to sending an entry to T&S. I guess, I just forgot it somewhere along the way. Anyway, your entry looks interesting. A chutney with mangoes AND cardamom is vey interesting. I don't know when I will come around to trying it out. I wish there were 48 hours in a day, I had four hands and two tummies. (Not to forget that my one tummy as big as two. Shhh...don't tell anyone.) :)

Nandita said...

Haha, you are too cute- you write in public yourself and then ask me not to tell anyone! You still have time till tuesday midnight US time, Barbara has given the peeps some more time-
DO try out sometime, while you get the raw mangoes and let me know if you liked it
Lotsa love
N

Luv2cook said...

Nandita:

I made something last night and need to write up my entry for Barbara's event. I had totally forgotten about it like Vaishali until 10:oo p.m. last night (Sunday) and made something :-p.

The chutney looks very good. BTW, I am a South Indian, Telugu, and in my house, caradamom is used to spice up savory dishes like kurmas, some non-veg items etc...I am learning new everyday about Indian food, feels like :)..

Nandita said...

It's interesting, because in traditional tamil cuisine- we don;t use it in any of the savory dishes (not that i'm Ms. Know-it-all of traditional cuisine :D ). But since we do make pulao and other north indian dishes, the bigger black cardamom is used there !

So what's the surprise at your end??

Yambalaya said...

The chutney looks delicious. Being a big fan of chutneys I will make the recipe with peaches over summer, as good mangos are hard to come by here :-(

Often I eat chutneys on bread with some slices of cheese to spice up my lunch ;-)

Nandita said...

Yambalaya, I quite like your nick ! Jambalaya with a Y :D

Sure, I guess you can try it out with any fruit, but in this case i used RAW mangoes, so there was no sweetness from the fruit- in case you want to make the sweeter version, any fruit will do just fine.

Check out the other spicy chutneys on the blog, you can find them through the recipe index

Regards'

Yambalaya said...

Thanks, and definetely will do.


Will send you my recipe for courgette chutney I made last year, only this year shall make it with less sugar. And than I have one with green tomatoes, I grow my own tomatoes and at the end of the season I am always left with a bunch of green tomatoes. In the chutney they go.

Tricia said...

Nandita, by "raw" do you also mean "unripe"? I made a recipe for a mango curry from a Madhur Jaffrey cookbook last week. (The recipe originates in Trinidad.) She specified "half-ripe mangoes" and the note said "Since these are what most commonly pass for mangoes in the Western world, they should not be hard to find" !! I really loved the dish, so I would probably love your chutney as well!

Nandita said...

Thanks for your comments Tricia- by raw , i do mean unripe mango, or the green one! In case you do try it, let me know how you found it.
Regards
N

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

rats said...

wonderful site, great job. keep it up sweets

rats from the faraway

Nandita said...

Rats---Laloo said you guys spoke and you remarked about my site, how lovely to hear from you - I'm very happy to hear from you!