Minty cucumber raita

I love the fragrance of mint, especially fresh mint leaves. And there's nothing like having a small potted plant of mint in your kitchen garden. The evening breeze brings a lovely waft of that wonderfully fresh fragrance. The Jasmine does put up some fierce competition to that though!

I keep looking for opportunities to use mint in my daily cooking, despite the rumours of 'you know what' that surround it! On the other hand, mint has been a part of age old remedies for relieving bad breath, stomach cramps, flatulence, nausea and many more.


Mint tea, mint rice, mint parathas, mint on salads, mint in gravies- I just love it in everything.

Here's a quick cucumber raita flavoured with fresh mint leaves.






Raita is a yogurt accompaniment to rice or is eaten as a salad. This one has cucumbers, fresh mint leaves and the garnish is a delicate sprinkling of fresh grated coconut.


What you will need:

1 1/2 cups fresh yogurt ( should be fairly thick-use homemade or Greek yogurt for more flavour)

2 medium sized cucumbers- peeled and grated
1 T chiffonade mint leaves ( proud to say that these were from my little balcony garden )
Some freshly ground black pepper
Rock salt (regular salt if you don't have rock salt)
1 big green chilli-finely chopped
Whole mint leaves-for garnish
1 T fresh grated coconut-for garnish


Method:

Beat the yogurt with the salt into a smooth consistency. Add the grated cucumbers.
Mix in the mint leaves, green chillies, salt and ground pepper.
Garnish with the whole mint leaves and coconut.
That is all there is to it.

Serve chilled.


Note:

This recipe will serve 2-3 people.

If you use hung curd for this recipe, you can very well use this, as a dip for crudites or a spread for sandwiches.

Serve it as a side with biryani / pulao

This is my entry for Kalyn's Weekend Herb Blogging.

5 comments:

Lakshmi said...

nice recipe , i luv raitas.

Vaishali said...

That's an easy one. Great for summers in India. Coconut on top? Ok, if you say so. Will be tried out.

sailaja said...

Come summers and I am most of the time on salads and raitas.I do make raita on the same lines as yours.tastes great!

Indira said...

Of all the herbs, mint stands out and I like how it taste too.
Cool :) raita recipe, Nandita.

Kalyn said...

This sounds really wonderful. I have a lot of my mind in my garden, but right now I need to weed out the dead sticks from last year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...