17 April 2006

Vegetable paratha with carrot-garlic spread

My mornings are probably the most mismanaged hours. No matter what time I wake up-I have to go through the morning ritual of a cuppa chai with the papers. The chai stretches until I'm almost through with the newspapers (which come to some total of 40-50 pages of browsing).

Once I'm done with that, my rush hour starts, where in I have to prepare breakfast and a lunch box for the husband. This is always a very high speed activity to achieve the double end point, of taste combined with wholesome nutrition.

For today's lunch box I made a quick mixed grated vegetable paratha with carrot garlic spread. It is a pretty simple thing to make.

This is my first entry to ARF-5-a-day. This recipe is rich in colors from the carrots, fenugreek leaves, coriander leaves-low on oil and high on taste.

Over to the ARF Tuesdays round-up at Sweetnicks







Vegetable parathas:

Ingredients:

1- 1.5 cups- Radish, Bottle gourd -grated

Handful of fenugreek (methi) leavesfinely chopped

1 tsp ajwain / omam seeds (called Bishop's weed -click for the picture)

1/2 tsp red chilli powder

1 cup whole wheat flour

Pinch of turmeric, salt to taste

Method:

Bind the dough with the water from the vegetables. Trust me, you don't need any water to bind, if you use the above veggies, infact I had to add some extra flour to make it less soggy.
Just roll out into small thick chapatis and cook them with / without some oil / ghee.

Now, something to go with the parathas. I made this carrot garlic spread in under 5 min.




Carrot Garlic Spread
Inspired by Tarla Dalal's Healthy Breakfasts

Ingredients:
2 medium sized carrots-washed, peeled and roughly sliced
4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
sea salt to taste
1/2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp chopped coriander


Method:
Grind the carrots, garlic, chilli powder, salt to a coarse paste. Mix in 1/2 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp of finely chopped coriander.

It can't get simpler than that. The sweetness from the carrots, the pungent kick from the garlic and the heat from the red chilli powder make a truly awesome blend of tastes.

This recipe makes upto 3/4 cup of chutney.


Can also serve this as:

Chutney for any parathas, chapatis
Low cal spread for sandwiches
Spicy chutney with Idlis/ Dosas instead of using 'molaga podi' with oil



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

di,

Your blogs r bursting with creativity & energy......
This is too much excuse to visit ur place...

u rok di!!

ramya

Nandita said...

Hey Ramya
Thanks- you have always over-complimented me! If you try out something, do let me know how it turned out- i just finished baking a batch of Chocolate scones (courtesy another blogger's recipe)- the whole house is filled with the aroma of chocolate, butter and vanilla. I wish we stayed closer, so that I could spoil all you guys with baked goodies-you would get fat in NO TIME!!

SusanV said...

I will have to try the carrot chutney. It looks very interesting!

Garam Masala said...

Nandita - This is a power-packed recipe! I am always looking for quick fixes too, this one looks great!

Great blog you've got here.

Puspha said...

That's a beautiful recipe. Well done.

Sri Valli said...

Nandita,

I made this spread yesterday with Dosa. It tastes pretty good.

Valli

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://projxuwg.com/gytn/akfm.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://mufgrgfp.com/wqmh/qpfg.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://projxuwg.com/gytn/akfm.html | http://xxrelcmj.com/mzkx/kojd.html

Anonymous said...

Bale! kalakka recipe. Will sure try this.