LOOKING FOR SOMETHING? SEARCH HERE

SUBSCRIBE TO WATCH ME COOK!

25 April 2006

Peerkangai Tuvaiyal


The ridge gourd was never a part of my veggie-shopping list until I started making this traditional south Indian Chutney called Peerkangai Thuvaiyal. The spiciness from the red chillies, the tanginess from the tamarind and the authentic south Indian taste from the asafoetida make it a delight to eat with steaming hot rice dotted with ghee.



Peerkangai Thuvaiyal

Before I tell you how to go about making this flavorful chutney, I must tell you a little trivia about this gourd.

The botanical name of Ridge Gourd is Luffa Aegyptica. If this sounds similar to the loofah sponge that adorns our baths- it is no co-incidence. Loofahs are indeed made from the dried ridge gourds after removing the seeds and xylems from inside the gourd. Have a look at the picture beneath-





Peerkangai Thuvaiyal ( Ridge Gourd chutney )

Ingredients:
2 medium-large ridge gourds- peel the ridges and slice the gourd roughly
3 dry red chillies
1 tbsp chana dal
1 tbsp udad dal
small piece asafoetida soaked in warm water
marble sized tamarind ball soaked in water
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
pinch of turmeric
sea salt to taste
1 tsp oil
Method:

Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the fenugreek seeds and the dals. Once the dals turn golden, add the red chillies, turmeric, gourd slices, tamarind and saute for 2 min. Add the salt, saute and cook covered for 7-8 min on a low flame.


Once the vegetable has become tender, remove the skillet contents onto a plate and cool for around 10 min.
Put the cooled contents into a blender and grind to a fine paste.
Peerkangai thuvaiyal is ready !


Slices of gourd sizzling on a skillet
Note:


  • Mix it into hot rice with ghee and eat it with an appalam (papad). You can also put it on toast
(Ammani's idea ) or as a spread for the chapati !

  • Its rich in carotene and low on carbohydrates. So, low carb lovers rejoice !

12 comments:

Luv2cook said...

ST:

Didn't know about the loofah part. Thanks for the information.

Virginie said...

I didn't know Loofah was a dried edible vegetable. Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, we can't find luffas in France. Do you think I can use another vegetable instead without changing too much your recipe ?

Nandita said...

You can make this chutney with any gourd, squash, red/white pumpkin, eggplant- the flavour might change with the vegetable, but it just just as tasty !

The loofa part was a discovery for me too :)

Diane said...

This is my favorite vegetable. I often make it Thai-style with garlic and chilis and a dash of fish sauce for salt and flavor. So good....

Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely check it out.

Nandita said...

Thats interesting Diane, I didn't think ridge gourd was used in any other cuisine- do send me the recipe of the thai style curry

sher said...

That's so interesting. I love the way the ridge gourd looks. I don't think I've ever seen it here, so I will try it with another veggie, as you suggested.

Kalyn said...

Very fascinating. I don't think I've ever seen ridge gourds, but I've seen those types of loofahs a lot. This sounds like it would be delicious.

Nandita said...

Thanks Sher and Kalyn ! I'm happy you found it interesting for the WHB-

preeti said...

hi nandita

was looking for peerkangai chutney recipe. My husband's grandmother used to make it and hes been asking me for quite sme time to make it too.

def gng to try this...!!

preeti (have cme across ur profile on ryze too !)

Anonymous said...

I love this chutney, but my version of making this is different. I do not use oil. Check out the link http://trythisrecipe.blogspot.com/2006/12/heerekai-chutney-ridge-gourd-chutney.html . Kandippa, the next time I make this chutney, Unga recipe follow panrane. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Southstar said...

my late mom.. makes a mouth watering gravy/dish which is mildly spicy. She does add more pepper during summer seasons and dried red mirchi(chilli) powder during winters.
the ingredient will be ridgegourd with shrimps or squid or mashed fish balls steamed in coconut milk... along with fried onions and curry leaves and yes salt.

and it tastes best when with pepper

mrids said...

my mom used to make this and I loved it at the time. This is very close to her recipe (she also added some grated coconut), thanks for a quick bookmark to this. :)

-mridula

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...