16 April 2006

My version of Coconut Chai Cake


I was tempted to try out Fat Free Vegan's Coconut Chai cake from the word go ! On the day I was to go to mom's house- I found the perfect excuse to bake this one.


I just tweaked the ingredients a bit, as per their availability at home. The result was a wonderfully aromatic kitchen and a heart-warming taste. The blending of several strong tastes like tea, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla is like pot-pourri for the senses.

This one is definitely worth trying. I'm just going to find reasons to bake this cake again and again


Ingredients:

1 cup strong tea infused with ginger ( I boiled one and half cups water with 2 tsp tea leaves and some pounded fresh ginger)

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/3 cup Quaker oats

1/2 cup gram flour (besan)- Used this instead of all purpose four, since I don't stock it at home

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon powder

1/3 cup soymilk - I haven't seen applesauce on our local grocery store shelves- so just substituted with another liquid like soymilk

1 tbsp vinegar

1/2 tsp almond extract

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup coconut -dessicated

3/4 cup sugar-instead of stevia

Method:

Preheat oven to 175 C / 350 F.

Grease a cake tin.

Combine dry ingredients-wheat flour through cinnamon in a medium bowl.

Mix chai, soymilk, vinegar, sugar, essences and coconut in a large bowl. The vinegar may curdle the soymilk a bit, but it does no harm to the recipe. Blend the above ingredients well.

Add the dry mix to the wet, mix well.

Pour mixture into greased tin and sprinkle some coconut on the top.

Bake for 25 min or until a tester comes out clean.

Serve warm as a tea time cake or serve with vanilla icecream for a yummy dessert.

4 comments:

Puspha said...

The cake sounds very delicious.

SusanV said...

Hi Nandita--I'm so glad you tried the chai cake! Your version looks very delicious. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog.

Terri said...

Hi, Nandita,

I'm tempted to try this based on your recommendation. I like the fact that you've tried recipes from different sites and posted the results.
I know you got this from a vegan site, but I've never had an eggless cake, yet. Can you tell this cake has no eggs? Would it taste better with an egg or two? Just curious.
I'm going to try it this weekend.

Susan said...

Hi Nandita,
I just tried this cake, and it looks and smells delicious. I substituted curd and a spoon of olive oil for the soyamilk - and used a masala chai that someone just sent me from India. oh, yes, and I added an egg.
Now waiting for it to cool. I might ice it with a rose icing..