LOOKING FOR SOMETHING? SEARCH HERE

SUBSCRIBE TO WATCH ME COOK!

16 April 2006

Lasooni Dal Palak ( Garlicky lentils with spinach )

Sundays are mostly lazy- and I'm sure I'm no exception here. Mornings start with tea and thinking about what to cook today ! If it's a hearty breakfast, then its just dal-rice or dal-roti for lunch. That reminds me, I must write about some of my hearty breakfast ideas.

This recipe for Lasooni Dal Palak was published in a daily one of the Sundays and I jumped at the idea of making this yummy dal, that very day.



Lasooni Dal Palak
Recipe courtesy Chef de cuisine, Saffron, JW Marriot, Mumbai

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Tur dal
1/3 cup Moong dal
1 bunch fresh spinach -washed-chopped roughly

1 tbsp- garlic finely chopped

1 small onion-finely chopped
1 medium sized tomato-finely chopped
1/2 tsp ginger finely chopped

3 green chillies finely chopped
1/2 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 tsp turmeric

1 tsp red chilli powder

1 tbsp ghee (or oil)
Salt to taste




You can almost smell the aroma of cooked lentils and garlic there


Method:

1. Pressure cook ( or boil ) the dals till soft with half the green chillies and turmeric.

2.In a pan, heat ghee. Add the cumin seeds, once they start popping, add garlic, ginger, remaining green chillies and onions.Fry till onions turn golden brown. Add tomato, spinach, turmeric, red chilli powder, salt. Saute the above mixture till it turns soft and golden.

3.Add the boiled dal mix to the above. Mix well, remove from flame. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.

4. Serve hot with phulka rotis.


The aroma from the garlic and the green colour from the spinach makes this an absolutely irresistable dish. For people who don't relish spinach, this is a great way to eat their greens.

You can treat your guests with Lasooni Dal palak and Jeera Rice as a main course, with a cucumber raita on the side.

This is my entry for ARF Tuesdays # 17 at Sweetnicks- Over to the round up here.


29 comments:

Catherine said...

That looks fantastic! I love lentil recipes!

sher said...

Yes, it looks wonderful. I can tell from both the picture and the recipe that I would love this.

Anonymous said...

wow the recipe is sipmly great!!! i tried it and must say it tates superb wth any pulaos!

Foodie's Hope said...

Hi, I was googling for Dal Palak recipe and I found your delicious looking Lasuni dal palak .I will be trying that for tomorrow's dinner. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Great recipe!Can we substitute palak with any other green leafy vegetable?

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
This dal looks delicious.... I'm going to try it today !!!
Have you used whole moong dal or split moong dal ?

Nandita said...

Asha- Hope your family liked it!

Anon- you may by all means try it out with other greens like swiss chard or fenugreek greens, or baby spinach.

Anon - I have used split yellow moong dal and split yellow toor dal.

\

Aruna said...

Nandita,

You have a great site!!!

I tried this recipe & oh boy it was delicious.... THx for sharing ur expertise.

Aruna

Nandita said...

Aruna - Very nice of you to give that feedback! After all it's a chef's recipe from the Marriott - gotta be good...Hope to see you around!

Tamanna said...

Hey,

I wanted you to know that this recipe is just awesome. My husband and I actually finished it all. Thanx for sharing it.

Piki said...

Hi,

I tried this recipe and it is simply delicious. Thanks for taking the time to share it. I frequent your blog often and am going to try out mroe of your yummy recipes.

Anonymous said...

Prepared this daal for dinner and it turned out really good..thanks for sharing the recipe.

Vanita Kriplani Anup said...

I was trying to make our traditional sindhi "sai bhaji " with brown pulao .. but didnt have channa dal at home .. so thought of trying out somehting diffrent. Glad i found this recipe ..its definetly a Keep !! i just loved it .. hubby freaked on it too !!! what more do i need :)) Thanks for sharing !!

Anonymous said...

I tried the dal it was simply great, thanks for posting it

Deepa Chilaka said...

Hey tried this for lunch, it was soooo yummy...thanks for sharing the recipe:)

Ranjan said...

Amazing recipe. Brought back memories of home.

Anonymous said...

Just tried your recipe! Awesome! It tasted delicious with hot phulkas! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

nilu said...

I made this dal just now.. it turned out quite well.. added lemon at the end to make it more tangy. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I tried this recipe and it turned out to be really great!. It is a simple process and tastes great.

Anonymous said...

awesome recipe..thanks for posting..

Shuchi said...

Hi Nandita!!!

This is a too good recipe... I tried it and the dal was perfectoooooo :)... looked similar to the picture in your blog...thanks a bunch and keep writing such scrumptious food recipes. Thanks again!!!

Arjun said...

looks good .... thanks ... my dear biwi just looked at this and made some for me

Jayeeta said...

Hello,

Just made this dal for dinner yesterday... DH loved it so much he even took some for his friends at work today!!! It was a great compliment for me as a cook cos i can manage to burn even rice if left on my own ;).. Thank u so much.. and the most wonderful thing was that the dish actually looked like ur pix...

Ms. Neha Gandhi said...

Thanks for sharing ur recipe... i made this today and loved it...

Ramya Manja said...

Bumped in here for the first time,really liked it a lot..Nice collection of recipes...Palak Dal Looks very delicious..Got to try the way u did it..

Keep Rocking...

Anonymous said...

Tried it today and it came out delicious. Thanks.

Ahana said...

hey....it was great.We just loved it.

amruta said...

Thanks.. Great recipe..it tastes awesome...:)

Vidhya said...

Tried this recipe. My husband and I loved it!! Thank you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...